Charlene Butler, BComm, BSc, MBA, RIMS Fellow
Charlene Butler is the founder and president of Butler Business Solutions Ltd. She is a management consultant with over 30 years experience assisting public and private sector organizations with strategic business planning, evaluation framework development and execution, non-financial risk management and organizational performance optimization. She holds a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) specializing in Natural Resources, Energy and the Environment, a Bachelor of Commerce (BComm) in Insurance and Risk Management, a Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Actuarial Science and a Chemical Technology diploma (CHT). Charlene is a RIMS Fellow (Risk and Insurance Management Society). In addition to consulting experience, Charlene has 25 years of senior management experience in the petroleum, insurance/risk management and government sectors.
Charlene’s education and experience have provided her with strong analytical, stakeholder engagement, facilitation, research, problem solving, and communication skills. The combination of education and hands on experience ensures that clients receive high quality, informed consulting services. She is a results oriented, strategic thinker with a proven ability to understand and meet the needs of diverse stakeholder groups.
Areas of specialization include:
Evaluation: Through a careful and thoughtful engagement process all key stakeholders including clients, investors and partners, are incorporated into the evaluation process to ensure that we “measure what matters.” Key metrics are established, the appropriate assessment tools developed along with a process for timely and accurate data collection. Bringing all stakeholders in at the beginning of an evaluation process ensures that evaluative frameworks are developed and evaluations completed that meet client needs.
Butler Business Solutions Ltd. specific evaluation project examples include:
- REACH Edmonton – SROI evaluations for: REACH WrapED, 24/7 Mobile Assistance Program (MAP), REACH Schools as Community Hubs, Aboriginal Leadership Circle, and Immigrant and Refugee Initiatives
- Edmonton Policy Service – Neighbourhood Evaluation Teams (NET) evaluation
- Downtown Business Association – Business plan and evaluation of Downtown Proud!
- Youth in Transit – Joint evaluation on behalf of Edmonton Police Service, Edmonton Transit Service and Native Counseling Services of Alberta
Business Program / Process Review: A critical review process that engages stakeholders and builds on best industry practices ensures the clients receive recommendations that streamline and improve operations. Charlene’s experience in business program and process review, comparative research and analysis is demonstrated through projects such as:
- Alberta School of Business – MBA Curriculum Review
- Solicitor General and Public Security – Alberta Sheriff’s Court Security and Prisoner Transport Study
- Edmonton Police Services – Resourcing Requirement Study, Edmonton Remand Centre
- Edmonton Police Services – Succession and Talent Management Plans
- MacEwan University – Organizational Transformation of Resource Centre for Voluntary Organizations
Business and Strategic Planning: Through a process that combines extensive research with the identification and engagement of all key stakeholders, Charlene assists businesses to develop robust business and strategic plans. Projects completed include:
- Edmonton Homeless Commission – Youth Training Centre
- REACH Edmonton – Sustainability and Business Plans, REACH WrapED
- REACH Edmonton Council for Safe Communities – Business and Implementation Plans for 24/7 Service Delivery Model for High Needs Populations
- Downtown Business Association – Business and Funding Plans for Downtown Proud!
- Downtown Business Association – Business Recruitment Study
- Alberta Council of Women’s Shelters – Strategic Marketing Plan
Risk Management (non-financial): With degrees in actuarial science and insurance and risk management and as holder of her fellowship designation in insurance and risk management Charlene is well position to provide clients with a range of non-financial risk management services. Examples include:
- Alberta Mental Health Foundation – Development of Governance Procedures and Policy Documents
- County of Strathcona – Insurance and Reciprocal Program review
- Anderson Career Training Centre – Volunteer sessional instructor on Risk Management
Successful completion of these projects requires understanding client’s goals and the environment in which they operate, prior to undertaking the research portion of the project. Understanding is gained through consultations with all key stakeholders and review of current policies and procedures. A variety of research / information gathering methodologies are employed. These include: focus groups, interviews, tours, examination and comparison with related organizations or projects, and peer evaluated research into what is being done in other geographical locations including internationally.